Sunday, August 4, 2013

Retrospection

     A friend in West Tisbury, Massachusetts alerted me to the article,"They Came, They Saw, They Moved In; Exploring the Vineyard's Counterculture Roots" by Ivy Ashe, in the Friday, August 2, 2013, edition of the Vineyard Gazzette and the accompanying image of a group from the Artworker's Guild Renaissance Fair of 1973. My friend had spotted me in the back row, in the white wimple. I remember having a great time being one of the volunteer "witches" dunked in the dunk tank at that Fair. I enjoyed reading Ms. Edey's background story in the article on-line.
http://mvgazette.com/news/2013/08/01/they-came-they-saw-they-moved-exploring-vineyards-counterculture-roots
     I was a summer houseparent at the Youth Hostel in West Tisbury from 1973 to 1979. I lived full time in West Tisbury during 1979 and appeared on stage in the Island Theatre Workshop productions of Anton Chekhov's Three Sisters and Meredith Wilson's Music Man that year. I left the island at the end of 1979 to continue pursuing a professional career as an actor.

     First stop, back to the Hartford Stage Company, cast by, then Artistic Director, Paul Weidner in his production of The Cocktail Party by T. S. Eliot.
Paul Weidner
     Second stop, Key West, Florida where I worked as a background artist for an episode of Tales of the Unexpected , a British television series that aired between 1979 and 1988. Each episode told a story, often with sinister and wryly comedic undertones, with an unexpected twist ending.   The series was made by Anglia Television for ITV.  
     As green as I was as a working actor and as poor as I was as an itinerant worker I did not know much about the show and had never seen the episode I worked on until I just discovered it posted on YouTube --     

     Here is a screen capture of "my big moment on screen"!  That's 30 year old me in the back corner behind Joan Hackett.
     
     While in Key West I appeared on stage as "Mrs. Peachum" in The Threepenny Opera and as "a Horse" in Equus.

     Then a stop in Eureka Springs, Arkansas where I did "Ellen" in LUV on stage. 

     Finally, on to Los Angeles in October 1980 to catch the ending of the Screen Actors Guild strike.  Here is the first headshot I had done in Los Angeles --

     In Los Angeles I have remained.  Here is my most recent headshot --

     Thanks for your interest, Gentle Reader.
     


No comments:

Post a Comment